Friday, January 11, 2013

Seeing my Students in Israel as Israelis

One of the hardest things about our decision to make aliyah was leaving behind a job that I knew I would never be able to replace here in Israel.  The unique niche in the world of Jewish high school education where I found myself suited me.  That's not to say that everything about it was perfect.  Like any job, there were days when I came homed and complained to Matt about how hard things were that day and why I was so frustrated at this thing or that person.  But overall, it suited me.  I was teaching a subject I loved to students who (at least pretended or learned to) care with colleagues that I respected.  

For many reasons, which include language barriers, lack of opportunity and differences in culture, an equivalent job here in Israel just does not exist, especially not in Haifa.  While I am sad that the short Chicago chapter of my life is over and I will now have to reinvent myself professionally, I am happy that my connection to Chicago, my school, my colleagues/friends and my students carries on.  This week, the senior class of 2013 arrived in Israel for their Senior Israel Experience, a 3 week trip, and I was there to greet them at the airport when they arrived.  These students were my first class.  They were freshmen when I was a "freshman" teacher.  I learned from them what worked and what didn't in the classroom.  And when I had some of them again as Sophomores and many more of them again as Juniors I got a second chance at being the best teacher I could be for them.  I watched them grow up from hyperactive 9th graders to, still hyperactive, but significantly more articulate upper classmen.  And now, as an Israeli, I got to see them at the peak of their senior year, listen to them talk about their memories of high school and expectations for college, and be a significant person in their life, albeit not their teacher anymore.  

As I accompanied the group on the ride down to the airport (which turned out to be quite eventful as the luggage compartment was left open and a few bags flew out on the highway - all were later recovered) one of my colleagues turned to me and said: "Your presence here feels so natural."  Which had been my exact sentiment at that moment.  

I often miss my old job, but I am also extremely happy where I am in my life now.  And I am comforted to know that the connections I made, the lives I touched and the lives that touched mine are not lost, but strengthened by our new relationship.  

Shabbat Shalom and have a great weekend,
Stef (and Matt)

No comments:

Post a Comment